Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Meet People, Not Women

I'm working on a start up (www.eventloud.com) that facilitates meeting new people based on common interests. As I was was doing some research I came across this article in Men's Health that gives some great advice to meeting women entitled "Yes She's Out There. And she wants to meet you. Trouble is you don't know where to look."


Rule number 1: Build Your Romantic Network
The key take away is to meet people, not woman. By expanding your social network beyond your core group of friends you have a much greater likelihood of meeting a mate. Chances are someone that is more a casual friend will be able to introduce you to more people that you don't know. You probably know all your core group's friends already. So the question is "How do you expand your casual relationships?" For me, I started doing things that interested me, assuming I was going to meet people I would enjoy.


Just the other day, I was recently reminded of a phase in my life I would rather forget. About 5 years ago I was fearing the prospect of living alone for the first time in my life. My marriage was dissolving and I realized that most of my friends were people I met as a result of my wife's outgoing personality. I honestly felt that I was incapable of forming new friendships and I certainly wasn't going to be able to meet any woman. I had no interest in finding anyone at bars and clubs. I don't drink and I was in my late forties. So I decided to pursue some new activities to stay busy and perhaps meet a few people. I started going to yoga, art and ballroom dancing classes. I met new people and discovered new passions. I have a ton of new relationships and a much wider variety of friends than I ever have had in my life.

My advice if you're looking for companionship is to search for activities and events that you can attend on your own that don't require you to go into mingle mode, such as classes and seminars. I hate mixers and networking events, always have and probably always will. With a class or a seminar you have a purpose for being there. You're there to learn something and get some information. You have context. Usually others are in the same boat and generally the instructor or teacher makes you feel welcome. It seems to me a more natural way of meeting people, especially if you are genuinely interested in the activity, Your enthusiasm and desire to learn will make you much more attractive and far less needy than trying to walk up to a group a women in a bar and try out your pick up lines and strategies.




1 comment:

  1. I also read about this at https://wouldliketomeet.me/how-to-meet/how-to-meet-women/. The advice is good, but many people are afraid of tying new things or maybe even get out the house for a change. Good Day!

    ReplyDelete